Tooth Extractions – Springfield, NJ
Relieve Dental Pain and Protect Your Oral Health
While no one wants to lose a tooth, an extraction is sometimes the best course of action to protect your oral health. Neglecting a badly decayed, damaged or infected tooth can lead to even more pain and bigger problems later down the road. To save your smile from painful, problematic teeth, Dr. Aliana Henkin can perform a quick and comfortable tooth extraction in Springfield. Read on or contact our office today to learn how this common dental treatment can alleviate your dental pain and boost your oral health.
Why Choose Skyline Dental for Tooth Extractions?
- State-of-the-Art Facility
- Weekend Appointments Available
- All Dental Insurance Welcome
Reasons Why Tooth Extractions Are Necessary
At Skyline Dental, we only recommend tooth extractions when they are absolutely necessary. Dr. Henkin will first evaluate your tooth to determine if it can be saved through root canal therapy, a dental crown, or other restorative treatment. However, a tooth extraction may be the best course of action if you have:
- Extensive tooth decay or damage
- Advanced gum disease or jawbone deterioration
- Severe dental infection that could spread to adjacent teeth
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- An overcrowded smile that prevents orthodontic treatment
The Process of Removing a Tooth
There are two main methods for tooth extractions in Springfield: simple and surgical. If your tooth has fully emerged from the gums, Dr. Henkin will use forceps to gently rock the tooth back and forth until it naturally separates from the gum tissue. Your mouth will be numbed before the extraction begins to ensure your comfort. Surgical extractions are typically performed on an impacted wisdom tooth or other tooth that has not erupted. In this case, Dr. Henkin will make a small incision in the gums to reveal more of the tooth. Next, they will pull the entire tooth out or cut it into smaller pieces and remove them one by one.
The only way to determine which tooth extraction method is right for you is to schedule a consultation at our office. Dr. Henkin will carefully evaluate your damaged or decaying tooth and create a custom extraction plan based on your unique needs.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
After your tooth is removed, it’s important that you return home and rest. Dr. Henkin will provide you with personalized aftercare instructions to ensure a successful recovery. Common aftercare tips include:
- Take over-the-counter or prescription pain medication as directed by your dentist in Springfield.
- After 24 hours, mix warm water with half a teaspoon of salt and rinse your mouth gently.
- Keep your mouth clean by brushing and flossing carefully and rinsing with mouthwash gently. Don’t use mouthwash with alcohol.
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, sticky, sour, and spicy foods for around one week.
- Avoid drinking through a straw, as the suction could dislodge the protective blood clot that forms over the extraction site.
- Do not smoke, chew, or vape tobacco.
You may experience swelling or light bleeding immediately after your tooth extraction. This is completely normal and no cause for alarm. You can manage any mild discomfort by taking pain medication as directed or applying an ice pack to your cheek. If your pain doesn’t go away after a couple days or gets worse, contact our office right away.